Lois Hole Lifetime Achievement Award
Current Winner | Dwight Nagel
On behalf of The Alberta Library Trustees Association, we are delighted to present Dwight Nagel of the Alix Public Library Board, the 2016 Lois Hole Lifetime Achievement Award. Dwight, you has exemplified outstanding service and leadership to the Alberta library community over the past 12 years. Dwight’s Accomplishments and Service includes;
- 2004 Town of Redcliff, appointed to Shortgrass Library Board
- 2005 Chair of Shortgrass Library Board
- 2011 Town of Alix Library Board & currently the Vice-Chair
- 2012-14 President of the Alberta Library Trustees Association
- Dwight is committed to ensuring literacy and quality of life for Alberta rural communities.
Dwight has committed many years to library leadership as a trustee and continues to be actively involved and strongly believes libraries are the heart of every rural community! “I truly believe that a community without a library has no real future. A library is one of the most important ingredients in healthy communities”. Congratulations, Dwight! On behalf of ALTA, thank you for your dedication to the library community!
ABOUT THE AWARD The Alberta Library Trustees Association (ALTA) Board of Directors established the Lois Hole Life Membership Award to recognize Albertans who have made a significant contribution to libraries and library trusteeship. The Board of Directors reserves the right to determine how many Lois Hole Life Memberships, if any, are to be awarded each year. The Alberta Library Trustees Association established the Lois Hole Award in 2001 in honour of the passion that our Lieutenant-Governor had for the role libraries play in our society and in gratitude for her support for libraries in Alberta. The Award will be presented at ALTAʼs Annual General Meeting, held at the Alberta Library Conference. The successful candidate(s) will be notified and invited to attend the annual library conference in Jasper to receive the award. GUIDELINES
- Nominations for Lois Hole Life membership may be made by the Board of the Alberta Library Trustees Association or by any member board in good standing with the Alberta Library Trustees Association.
- Notices requesting nominations for Honorary Life Membership shall be sent to member library boards after the fall meeting of the ALTA Board.
- Trustees currently sitting on the ALTA Board of Directors are not eligible.
- The nominee does not have to be serving as a trustee at the time of the nomination.
- Completed nomination forms shall be accompanied by a résumé of the nominee’s career and assessment of his/her contributions to the library community.
- Winners will be selected from nominations received by a committee appointed by the Board of Directors of the Alberta Library Trustees Association.
CRITERIA In general, persons eligible should have:
- provided leadership in the library community;
- served as trustees in public libraries or public library systems in the province, or made a significant contribution to the library community; and
- served libraries in capacities beyond their local library or system board.
In particular, persons eligible may have achieved one or more of the following:
- fulfilled offices in the Alberta Library Trustees Association;
- contributed to the organization of the Alberta Library Conference;
- served exceptionally long terms in library trusteeship;
- provided leadership in the establishment of new libraries and library systems;
- participated in major innovations in library management and operation;
- served in a recognized provincial or national library related organization;
- promoted literacy;
- contributed significantly to trustee education; and/or
- have made significant contributions to the literature which supports the efficiency, management and growth of the library community.
Past Award Winners
- 2014 Lois Hole Award: Gary Beeson, Swan Hills Library
- 2013 Lois Hole Award: Pincher Creek and District Municipal Library
- 2012 Lois Hole Award: Hinton Municipal Library
- 2011 Lois Hole Award: Medicine Hat Library Board
- 2007 Lois Hole Award: Cold Lake Public Library Board
- 2006 Lois Hole Award: Banff Public Library Board
- 2005 Lois Hole Award: Medicine Hat Public Library Board
- 2004 Lois Hole Award: Sheep River Public Library Board
- 2003 Lois Hole Award: Edmonton Public Library Board
- 2002 Lois Hole Award: Redwater Public Library Board