Message from Karla Palichuk, YRL Director.
This update includes information on:
- Public Library Services Branch (PLSB) update
- Library Board Governance During the COVID-19 Pandemic webinar
- 2020-2021 public library grants
- YRL Coffee Chat reminder
- YRL van runs
- Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) news release
- Worksite Safety Compliance Centre (WSCC) Pandemic Awareness online course
- Center for Creative Leadership (CCL) free webinar series – updated times
- Library Board Governance During the COVID-19 Pandemic webinar: PLSB is hosting four same-content webinars for library board trustees and library managers to expand on the information sent out over the past several weeks. Attend a session to learn more about:
- Library board governance basics.
- Board meetings during the pandemic.
- How policies, plans of service and other governance tools can assist you in this time.
- PLSB support.
- Registration is not required; simply click on the link to attend the session that works best with your schedule.
- Monday, May 4, 11:00-11:45 a.m. Attend
- Tuesday, May 5, 7:00-7:45 p.m. Attend
- Wednesday, May 6 from 10:00-10:45 a.m. Attend
- Thursday, May 7 from 2:00-2:45 p.m. Attend
- 2020-2021 public library grants: Please see the attached letter from Minister Kaycee Madu that explains that the government is paying out 50 per cent of 2020-2021 public library grants right now (without requiring boards to apply and report on last year for this first installment and the second 50 per cent will be paid out in the fall when we have [hopefully] returned to normal practices) with the hope that the first payment alleviates potential cash flow issues and the administrative work of the grant application on librarians and board chairs working remotely.
YRL Coffee Chat
- Please join us for the YRL Coffee Chat tomorrow starting at 1:30 p.m. Registration is not required, just click this link to participate.
NOTE: There is currently a maximum of 26
participants that are filled on a first come, first serve basis.
YRL van runs
- We will be extending our offer of special van
runs to libraries who have staff onsite between April 28 and May 7.
you have not been contacted by YRL and would like a special van run, please
email email@example.com by Friday, April
24 and we will schedule a van run for you.
- We are asking that physical distancing measures
be put into place to protect library staff and YRL staff. This may mean that
library staff bring bins out to an open area or foyer and the van driver
dropping off bins in the same area. We are asking libraries to quarantine all
bins for 72 hours after delivery before checking in items.
- YRL has been cataloging and processing new items
so you may receive a mix of new items and items in-transit.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
if you have questions.
IMLS news release
- In a news release today, IMLS, OCLC and Battelle, announced a new collaboration to support libraries and museums as they consider safe reopening practices in light of COVID-19.
WSCC Pandemic Awareness online course
- Thank you to Kelly from Onoway Public Library for sharing the information about this course with us!
- During this 30-minute online course, you will learn about the nature of viruses, how to protect yourself and others from viral spread, and how to react to the different effects of outbreaks and becoming ill during a pandemic event. This course will remain free to use until this pandemic has passed, and is based on the data available and best practices learned from Influenza, COVID-19, and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS). Register
CCL free webinar series – updated
- My apologies for having the wrong time listed yesterday and thank you to Allison from Stony Plain Public Library for letting me know! The correct times are listed below.
- Building Resilience and Leadership in the Context of Crisis & Telework – Tuesday, April 28, 11:00 a.m.-noon: This webinar will cover the importance of resilience and leadership and practical ways to enhance personal and team effectiveness during times of crisis. Register
- Leading Remote Teams When the Stakes Are High – Wednesday, May 6, 11:00 a.m.-noon: With new emphasis on telecommuting comes a new need for leading remote teams. Tune into this webinar to learn best practices for virtual leadership. Register
You can follow YRL
on Facebook and Twitter and our updates are posted on the YRL
Yellowhead Regional Library
780.962.2003 x226 | www.yrl.ab.ca