Message from Karla Palichuk, YRL Director.
This update includes information on:
- YRL training opportunities and Coffee Chats
- Stronger Together – October 1 & 2
- Increasing cardholders
- Navigating Difficult Conversations webinar
- Free trauma-informed workplace assessment
- Building resilient communities
YRL training opportunities and Coffee Chats
- YRL is pleased to offer the following online training opportunities and Coffee Chats for late August and September. These webinars are a great opportunity to learn something new, refresh your skills and (virtually) connect with staff and managers from across the YRL region and beyond!
- Registration is free and all interested staff are welcome – please share this invitation widely in your organizations.
- The webinars are offered thru GoToMeeting or GoToWebinar – both can be used on your computer or device (for the best experience, audio and video should be enabled), or you can connect using your phone – email email@example.com for details.
- The training sessions will be recorded and posted on the YRL website for future viewing (Coffee Chats are not recorded).
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions!
- Welcome to Alberta Relais: a new ILL experience In this webinar you will have a tour of the new Alberta Relais website and learn how to search and request ILLs from libraries outside of TRAC. We will be discussing new ILL procedures that will make doing ILL easier than ever! This webinar is for all public services staff who help patrons with ILL requests and questions.
- YRL Presents: The Bibliomaniacs! Introducing the Bibliomaniacs – a new learning series from YRL that will introduce you to the latest and greatest books! Do you love discovering new books to purchase or to recommend to your patrons? If you said yes, then this webinar is for you! Join YRL staff as they book talk the hottest new publications, read-alikes of popular titles and even some diamonds in the rough. From babies to adults you will discover something for every audience.
The content for the July and August sessions are NOT the same – each session will introduce you to a whole new series of books and resources for you to discover.
- Transitioning Programming to a Virtual Environment Are you wondering how to program during the pandemic? In this discussion-based session, we will be sharing our ideas and best practices for virtual programming in our libraries. In preparation for the discussion, please view the “Transition Planned In-Person Adult Programs to a Virtual Environment” video from the Public Library Association that provides information on how to present virtually, how to integrate community partners into your virtual schedule, setting up online conferencing accounts for maximum security, optimal programming selection, and how to support staff in shifting to a virtual environment (the link will be emailed to you upon registration).
- Tuesday, September 8, 1:30-2:30 p.m. Register
- SimplyReports for Collection Development Wondering what SimplyReports can tell you about your collection? Join YRL’s Collection and Resource Sharing Manager, Jocie Wilson, as she reviews her favourite SimplyReports reports for collection development and analysis. This session is best for staff with previous experience in SimplyReports.
- Tuesday, September 15, 1:30-2:30 p.m. Register
- YRL Coffee Chats Working from a distance doesn’t mean you can’t connect! Join YRL staff for a weekly coffee chat, where we answer any questions you may have, discuss projects you are working on, chat about what’s happening in your library, and (virtually) check in with how each of us are doing. Each coffee chat has a limit of 26 participants, so be sure to join the meeting early to secure your spot! No registration is required for Coffee Chats – simply click on a meeting link and join us when you can! If you are accessing the Coffee Chat via your phone or tablet, add the GoToMeeting App.
- Thursday, August 27, 1:30–2:15 p.m. Join August 27
- Thursday, September 3, 1:30–2:15 p.m. Join September 3
- Thursday, September 10, 1:30–2:15 p.m. Join September 10
- Thursday, September 17, 1:30–2:15 p.m. Join September 17
- Thursday, September 24, 1:30–2:15 p.m. Join September 24
Stronger Together – October 1 & 2
- Registration is now open for Alberta’s first virtual library conference, Stronger Together, a joint partnership between YRL, Parkland Regional Library System, Peace Library System and The Alberta Library. We hope you will join us for two amazing days of learning!
- This Super Library Marketing blog post has six ideas for recruiting new cardholders, including asking partner organizations in your community, current cardholders and staff to spread the word.
Navigating Difficult Conversations webinar
- Tuesday, September 22, 11:30 a.m.: Presented by the Association for Library and Information Science Education (ALISE), this 60-minute webinar will provide you with the knowledge and skills to face the challenges of difficult conversations at work, and how to successfully navigate difficult conversations with peers. Pre-registration is required; free for ALISE members and $50 for non-members. Register
Free trauma-informed workplace assessment
- Trauma-informed workplaces create a sense of belonging, connection and healing. How trauma-informed is your organization in both its awareness and practice? Take 2-5 minutes to complete the free Trauma-Informed Workplace Assessment from the Crisis & Trauma Resource Institute (CTRI). Once completed, you will be provided with an 8-page detailed report that will help you evaluate, understand and discuss how your organization can become more trauma-informed.
Building resilient communities
- Resilient communities are those that have the capacity to weather the storms of change in order to enact transformation. This CTRI article explains four ways to support the possibility of post-traumatic growth to build families, neighbourhoods and communities beyond what existed before the pandemic.
You can follow YRL on Facebook and Twitter and our updates are posted on the YRL Blog.
Yellowhead Regional Library
780.962.2003 x226 | www.yrl.ab.ca
Strong Libraries—Strong Communities