Message from Karla Palichuk, YRL Director.
This update includes information on:
- New Coordinated Collection Development (CCD) lists
- YRL webinar: Decoding the Annual Report
- Alberta Nonprofit Network (ABNN) webinar: Civil Society Fund Grant Info Session
- Mental harm prevention: Road map for employers
- 10 tips for nurturing happiness
New CCD lists
- There are another 12 new lists to choose from on CCD: 2020 Fiction Books of the Year via 49th Shelf; 2021 Forthcoming Recommendations from Novelist; 67 of the Best Queer Books of 2020; Best of 2020: YA Titles According to Kirkus Reviews; January Hot New: Playaway Audiobooks, and Audiobook, Blu-ray, DVD, and Music CD Releases; Resources for Those Facing Grief and Mortality; Top 50 Albums of 2020; and Best of True Crime Titles from 2020.
YRL webinar: Decoding the Annual Report
- Thursday, January 7, 1:30-2:30 p.m.: Another year will soon be in the books, which means it will be annual statistics time! On January 4, you will receive an email from YRL with the Polaris-generated Annual Report custom report – this report provides information to answer many of the questions in the PLSB’s Public Library Survey and Annual Report. But have you wondered what is it actually counting? What do those fields mean? Why does it sometimes not match the statistics that you keep? Join us with that report in hand as we decode the Annual Report custom report and answer any other questions you may have so that you can confidently fill out your Public Library Survey and Annual Report. Register
NOTE: Please do NOT run this report yourself; YRL staff will run this report on your behalf in the off-hours because it affects the performance of Polaris and we also keep a copy if you accidentally delete it.
ABNN webinar: Civil Society Fund Grant Info Session
- Wednesday, January 6, 9:30-10:30 a.m.: Join this session to learn more about the Government of Alberta’s new Civil Society Fund grant program including eligibility requirements and how to apply. This fund provides $20 million to expand civil society’s capacity to address social problems for Albertans – of which $7 million is budgeted for 2020/21 to support civil society’s recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic. ABNN will be joined by Ken Dropko and Glen Hughes of the Ministry of Community and Social Services, who will provide an overview of the program and answer your questions. Ken is the Executive Director, Family and Community Services Branch, Preventive Community Services Division; and Glen is Secretariat Director, Premier’s Council on Charities and Civil Society. Register
Mental harm prevention: Road Map for employers
- COVID-19 has shone a light on mental health in Canada and challenged employers to focus more on supporting employees’ through this challenging time. Workplace Safety and Prevention Services created a Road Map with eight building block to support the national standard’s implementation and to facilitate evidence-based research to measure how adopting some or all of its building blocks can improve employees’ psychological health and safety. Learn more in this article from The Conference Board of Canada, and what they are doing to support employers interested in leveraging the Road Map to have a positive impact on their employees’ psychological health and safety.
10 tips for nurturing happiness
- “As we head into special times of the year such as holiday or vacation, we often anticipate finding happiness. But, I wonder if we can ever really find happiness? What is the real stuff made of? Not the illusion that disappears along with the last joyful moment of our holiday. I’m not so sure that we find happiness, but I am confident we can cultivate it, make a place for happiness, and be ready to experience it.” The Crisis & Trauma Resource Institute lists 10 simple, quick tips for nurturing happiness in this timely blog post.
You can follow YRL on Facebook and Twitter, and the updates are posted on the YRL Blog.
Thank you for your support this year! Look for our next update on January 6.
The YRL staff and I wish you peace, health and happiness during the holiday season and Happy New Year to all!
Yellowhead Regional Library
780.962.2003 x226 | www.yrl.ab.ca
Strong Libraries—Strong Communities