Message from Karla Palichuk, YRL Director.
This update includes information on:
- Public Library Services Branch (PLSB) interlibrary loan (ILL) update
- hoopla circulation limits
- YRL webinars
- Equity, Diversity, Inclusion (EDI) in Libraries: Doing “The Work” (Dec. 10)
- Connecting with Indigenous Patrons (Dec. 16)
- Collections and Resource Sharing (CRS) year-end update
PLSB ILL update
- “As you have likely heard, the province has announced that as of Sunday, December 13th at 12:01am all public libraries must close to the public. This means that the last day in-person public library service can happen is Saturday, December 12th. This closure will be in place for at least four weeks. As a result, we will be suspending the patron/discovery side of Relais as of Thursday, December 10th. The staff portal of Relais will remain active. Government courier (Loomis) will continue as usual, making daily drop offs and pickups. If you foresee this being an issue for your location, let us know and we will see about adjusting those hours for your library.”
hoopla circulation limits
- Effective this Friday, December 11, hoopla circulation limits will be increased to 10 per month.
- Thursday, December 10, 1:30-2:30 p.m., EDI in Libraries: Doing “The Work”: Join us for an hour-long discussion wherein we will take a look what other libraries have been doing in their own communities, identify gaps in our practice, and hopefully brainstorm new projects for 2021. Participation is encouraged and access to a microphone or webcam is appreciated. Register
- Wednesday, December 16, 1:30-2:30 p.m., Connecting with Indigenous Patrons: Wondering what libraries or you personally as library staff can do to better serve your Indigenous patrons? This webinar will discuss what Indigenous Librarians think libraries and library staff can do to make your library more… Welcoming, Inclusive and Respectful for Indigenous patrons. Register
CRS year-end update
- Due to the unprecedented number of new items that have been arriving at YRL from our vendors, we are pushing forward our fiscal year-end rollover date to Tuesday, December 22.
- What does this mean for you? If you run the reports on December 14, 15 or 16 as recommended in the year-end webinar, the totals will not be correct as we are still receiving items.
- Here is our recommendation: Since everyone is pivoting quickly to move to curbside services, let YRL run these reports for you! We are going to run these reports for every library – no need to email us or sign up – we will just run the following reports and email them to each library.
- On-order items that are rolling over to 2021
- Cancelled items in 2020
- Fund expenditures in 2020 (for each fund you have with us)
- What does this mean for invoicing? If we receive any items December 14-21 for bill direct accounts, we will scan and email you the invoice as soon as possible so that you can pay the invoice out of 2020 funds; or, if you prefer, you can also wait and pay in 2021 if that works better for you. We are trying our best to give a lot options and flexibility since we know this has been a weird year for budgets, publishing, etc.
- If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Jocie directly at email@example.com. Thank you to all those who have reached out already, I hope this helps simplify a few things as you adjust your services due to the new restrictions.
You can follow YRL on Facebook and Twitter, and the updates are posted on the YRL Blog.
Yellowhead Regional Library
780.962.2003 x226 | www.yrl.ab.ca
Strong Libraries—Strong Communities