Message from Karla Palichuk, YRL Director.
This update includes information on:
- Reopening Archives, Libraries, and Museums (REALM) Project update: Round 1 test results now available
- Month of the Artist/Culture Days/Grant opportunity
- Libraries relaunch: Webinar for public libraries housed in schools
REALM Project update: Round 1 test results now available
- The REALM Project released the results of the first round of Battelle’s laboratory testing for COVID-19 on five commonly circulated library materials: hardback book cover (buckram cloth), paperback book cover, plain paper pages inside a book, plastic protective book covering, and a DVD case. “Results show that the SARS-CoV-2 virus was not detectable on the materials after three days of quarantine.” Test 2 results are expected by the end of July; details on the items being tested will be available by July 1.
Month of the Artist/Culture Days/Grant opportunity
- Did you know that Alberta is the first (and remains the only) province in Canada to dedicate an entire month to artists?
- Month of the Artist, an annual celebration of artists and the social/economical value they bring to the province, was moved to September to align with and complement Alberta Culture Days, which is celebrated September 1 to 30.
- Alberta Culture Days Grant applications must be submitted by Thursday, July 16. Grant funds are to support online and small venue events held in September that help build partnerships, showcase homegrown talent, boost existing cultural programs, engage public participation, and inspire future involvement.
- The Alberta Culture Days event resources page has planning guides, posters (customizable, non-customizable and multi-language), print and web ads, wordmarks, and media templates.
- National Culture Days is September 25 to October 25 and this year’s theme is Unexpected Intersections.
Libraries relaunch: Webinar for public libraries housed in schools
- Municipal Affairs Public Library Services Branch is hosting four, 30-minute webinars to discuss re-opening strategies for public libraries housed in schools. These sessions are designed for school-housed public library staff and board members to share ideas for re-launching library service in their communities, as well as explore opportunities and challenges. Register
- Monday, June 29 at 1:30 p.m.
- Thursday, July 2 at 5:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, July 7 at 3:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, July 8 at 11:30 a.m.
You can follow YRL on Facebook and Twitter and our updates are posted on the YRL Blog.
Yellowhead Regional Library
780.962.2003 x226 | www.yrl.ab.ca
Strong Libraries—Strong Communities