Message from Karla Palichuk, YRL Director.
This update includes information on:
- Public Library Services Branch (PLSB) update: Nodes meeting
- LibraryAware has reopening templates
- Distillery hand sanitizer vendors
- Helping restore an anxious brain
PLSB update: Nodes meeting
- Diana Davidson, PLSB Director, sent this message about the Provincial Public Library Network Nodes roundtable meeting held June 3: Thanks for attending the teleconference yesterday and for so quickly sharing your new card holder numbers with me. I thought you might like to know that, according to the numbers you shared, just over 18,500 Albertans registered for new public library cards since March 15th. That is pretty incredible. For perspective… This is roughly double the number of new card registrations typically seen in a three month period (as estimated from total new card numbers in the last four years of annual reports). I think this rough statistic speaks to how important libraries have been during the pandemic (even as physical doors had to close). I know that when we officially report this, there will be more analysis to be done around other benchmarks and other totals and what happens to usage generally over the rest of the year. But for today, it is an encouraging number and I think something everyone can be proud of.
LibraryAware has reopening templates
- Did you know that LibraryAware had hundreds of new COVID-19 related design templates that library staff can use to prepare signage for reopening? There are options for posters, flyers, bookmarks, social media widgets and more, with designs for topics such as reopening hours, donations, directional signage and curbside pickup. To access the templates, log into your library’s LibraryAware account and enter “covid” into the search box. If you need help accessing LibraryAware, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Distillery hand sanitizer vendors
- Thank you to those who sent us information about regional distilleries making hand sanitizer.
- North 49 Lubricants, Leduc Website
- Rocky Mountain Big Horn Distillery, Edson Website
- West of the 5th Distillery, Barrhead Website
- Indoff Alberta, Edmonton Website
- Section 35 Farm Distillery, Viking Website
Helping restore an anxious brain
- COVID-19 has brought anxiety to the fore with many of us during this pandemic period. This folio article has good news though – scientists at the University of Alberta are progressing in research on the anxious brain.
You can follow YRL on Facebook and Twitter and our updates are posted on the YRL Blog.
Thank you and have a fantastic weekend!
Yellowhead Regional Library
780.962.2003 x226 | www.yrl.ab.ca
Strong Libraries—Strong Communities