Winner of 2019 Lois Hole Lifetime Achievement Award
The Alberta Library Trustees’ Association is delighted to present the Lois Hole Lifetime Achievement Award to Marilyn King for her service as both Secretary and Chair of nine years. Marilyn has been regarded as a model library advocate and mentor for all who know her; she is a wellspring of energy, enthusiasm and stamina for both the library in Chestermere and for all libraries in Alberta.
- Long time Board Vice-Chair, Lennox Gomes, says “the amount of time she devotes to the Library and local community is beyond measure; volunteering her time on various committees and is always the first to volunteer at events organized by the library.”
- Described by Board Trustee Luella Gaultier as “caring, dedicated, committed, energetic and community minded”, and “shows no signs of slowing down soon“.
- Laura Taylor, Deputy CEO of the Marigold Library System writes about Marilyn’s nomination, “Marilyn is a strong advocate for the betterment of public libraries in Alberta. She cares about the future of public libraries, this was clear during her seven years as the City of Chestermere representative on the Marigold Library Board and her involvement on the Governance Committee of the Marigold Board.”
- 2019 Board Chair Judy Tidlund adds that Marilyn’s “mentorship to new Trustees is highly regarded and appreciated. Networking, understanding the community’s needs and energetic advocacy have established the Library in the community’s minds.”
- Michelle Toombs, CEO of Marigold, mentions: “She was an active participant and contributor to Board discussions and always wore the Marigold Board hat during those meetings. She assisted with the regular review and updating of the 180-page Board manual, consisting of 100 policies and plans. Included in these documents are policies for our six ‘branch’ libraries located in unincorporated communities. She has been consistently supportive of arigold because she understands that Chestermere Library’s and Marigold’s goals are aligned.
This list of supporters for Marilyn’s acheivements and dedication goes on. It then summed up by her nominaters with; “Thank you, Marilyn, for everything.” We here at ALTA could not be more proud! We hope this award will help show your work has not gone unnoticed.