Message from Karla Palichuk, YRL Director.
This update includes information on:
- Publisher permission and copyright laws
- The Alberta Library (TAL) webinar
- Center for Creative Leadership (CCL) free webinar series
- Occupational Health and Safety and Employment Standards (OHS/ES) eNews
- Salt to combat viruses, could be a winner
Publisher permission and
- As we move to remote learning and programming, many are worrying and wondering about reading books aloud online and possibly violating copyright laws. In response, many children’s publishers have temporarily altered policies.
- Thank you to Verna from Drayton Valley Municipal Library for kindly sharing her publisher permissions document (attached) as discussed at the Summer Reading Club Input Meeting yesterday!
- Also for reference, School Library Journal has created the SLJ COVID-19 Publisher Information Directory.
- ORC 101: Public Libraries – Wednesday, April 29, 11:00-11:45 a.m.: An overview of the Online Reference Centre (ORC) specifically with a focus on the important aspects for public libraries. Register
- This webinar will feature a 20-minute presentation and then extra time for Q&As; topics covered will include:
- The temporary change in login access.
- Introduction to the ORC mandate.
- Overview of the ORC resources.
- Review of the supports in place for learners and our ORC ambassadors (like you!) who support those learners.
CCL free webinar series
- Building Resilience and Leadership in the Context of Crisis & Telework – Tuesday, April 28, 3:00-4:00 p.m.: This webinar will cover the importance of resilience and leadership and practical ways to enhance personal and team effectiveness during times of crisis. Register
- Leading Remote Teams When the Stakes Are High – Wednesday, May 6, 3:00-4:00 p.m.: With new emphasis on telecommuting comes a new need for leading remote teams. Tune into this webinar to learn best practices for virtual leadership. Register
- See the latest news from Alberta OHS/ES in the attached PDF.
Salt to combat viruses, could be a winner
- See how University of Alberta researchers are testing compressed salt to make door levers and handrails that fight the spread of viruses in this folio article.
You can follow YRL
on Facebook and Twitter and our updates are posted on the YRL
Yellowhead Regional Library
780.962.2003 x226 | www.yrl.ab.ca