Topics for orientation:
- Information about library services:
- Programs for special populations such as teens, pre-schoolers, seniors, First Nations or immigrant community members
- Lending and inter-library loan
- An overview of the collection-it’s more than books and CDs!
- A tour of facilities and introduction to branch managers
- An overview of the Board policy manual and/or Trustee Handbook
- Information about meetings, rules or order, and other resources for
Trustees including the ALTA website
- The current Plan of Service and Annual Report
- An overview of financial policies and routine financial reports
- A meeting with key leadership staff of the library
- An overview of the library’s key partners and supporting organizations
- A list of Trustees, key staff persons, and contact information
TIP: According to the BCLTA, trustees in that province indicated that they wanted to be oriented by the Board Chair. Make this a regular part of your duties as chair.